When the Shaking Starts
If you are indoors:
- If in a high-rise building – Drop, Cover and Hold On. Avoid windows.
- Do not use elevators.
- If you are not near a desk or a table, drop to the floor next to an interior wall and protect your head and neck with your arms.
- If in bed stay there and cover head with a pillow, get out of bed only when tremors stop and wear footwear.
- Avoid exterior walls, windows, tall furniture, large appliances, cabinets filled with heavy items, hanging objects and mirrors.
If you are outdoors:
- Move to a clear area if you can do so safely; avoid buildings, power lines, trees and other hazards.
- Move to a clear area if you can do so safely; avoid buildings, power lines, trees and other hazards. Always assume power lines are live.
- Near tall buildings then get away from them when shaking starts.
- And driving then when able to safely pull over to the side of the road and stop.
- Avoid overpasses, bridges, power lines, signs, trees and other things that might collapse or fall on the vehicle.
- Stay inside the vehicle until the shaking ends. If a power line falls onto your vehicle, stay inside until a trained person removes the hazard.
After The Earthquake
Check for Damage and Hazardous Conditions
- Fire - If possible, put out small fires in your home or neighborhood immediately. Call for help.
- Damaged Wiring - Shut off power at the main breaker switch if there is any damage to your home. Leave the power off until the damage is repaired.
- Falling Items - Be aware that heavy items may fall off shelves when you open closets and cabinet doors.
- Gas Leaks - Turn off the gas only if you suspect a broken pipe or leak. Don’t turn gas back on by yourself – wait for the gas company.
- Damaged Walls - They may be weakened and could topple during aftershocks.
If your home is damaged:
- Do not reenter your home until you know it’s safe.
- Be sure there are no gas leaks before using open flames or operating electrical equipment.
- Check for faulty electrical wiring and broken water lines. Water contact with faulty wiring is a shock hazard.
- Unplug broken or toppled light fixtures and appliances. These could start fires.